November 2013

new logo

Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr

                        Lismore Historical Society

          A Company limited by guarantee No. SC234832

          AIREAMH CARTHANNAIS/Charity No. SC023503

Minutes of Meeting held in the Library

Thursday 28th November 2013

at

6pm

 

Present: Directors: Duncan Livingstone (DL) (Chair), John Livingstone (JL), Bob Hay (BH), Memory McDonald (MMD), Duncan Ferguson (DF)

 

Committee Members:  Duncan Drysdale (DD) (Treasurer), Lorraine King (LK), Margaret McDonald (MD), Catherine Gillies (CG). Cathy Carmicheal (CC) and Maureen Mitchell (MM) also attended.

 

 

Apologies: Barbara McDougall (BMD), Nic Jones (NJ), Katie MacGregor (KMG), Freda Drysdale (FD), Jennifer Baker (JB) (Secretary)

 

Absent without apologyArchie MacGillivray (AM), Teenie Wilson (TW)

 

Previous minutes

The previous minutes from 31st October 2013 were approved; proposed by MMD, seconded by JL.

 

Matters Arising

DL welcomed CC and MM to the meeting and CG to the meeting and the committee.

BH raised the issue of the recent IT questionnaire, and asked for this to be acted upon as a matter of urgency.

The meeting then discussed the recent resignation of DD from his post of Treasurer from 31st December 2013 due to work commitments. The committee expressed its heartfelt thanks to DD for the great service he has provided as treasurer and for his generous donation of £4000 to employ a new treasurer. The committee agreed to act quickly to recruit a new treasurer.

 

Friends’ Day

BH reported that the afternoon of Sunday 24th November 2013 had been a great success. 40 friends and members attended and the reports on The Lismore Faces, Recording Memories (Helen Crossan) and The Walkover Surveys (Douglas Thorburn) were very well received. The Walkover Survey guide to the area surrounding INM is ready to go to print. After Discussion on the Recording Memories project and the importance of its findings, it was agreed that BH should contact Bòrd na Gàidhlig for advice on continuing the work that Helen has been doing on Lismore Gaelic. The committee extended its thanks to John Randall of the Islands Book Trust for his contribution to the day, which had been very well received. The committee also wished to express its grateful thanks to Freda, Anne, Josie and all the others who helped or contributed to the wonderful catering enjoyed on the day.

 

Volunteers Christmas Lunch.

This will take place on Tuesday 17th December – time and menu to be confirmed with Beth. Volunteers are already aware of this date.

 

A&B Museums Forum – report back.

MM reported back on the recent AGM in Helensburgh of the Argyll and ButeMuseums and Heritage Forum. MM is the new Lismore representative on the Forum following the resignation of LK who has been Treasurer of the Forum for the past year. MM reported that 18 museums and heritage projects were represented at the AGM and the day was rich with interesting presentations from a number of organisations. Particularly of interest to us was the presentation from Ishbel MacKinnon, Archivist of Argyll Estates in Inveraray, who is involved in a project to draw together the major private archives in Argyll. CG spoke of the national importance of Argyll’s archives and BH has already expressed our interest in becoming involved with this project. If anyone wishes to see MM’s full report, please contact her directly.

 

Just Enterprise. Application for Business Support

 

CG reported that she had been investigating routes toward improving the sustainability of Ionad Naomh Moluag and was hopeful that useful progress could be made, as the social enterprise sector was ready and willing to help organisations such as CELM.

 

 

She identified three immediate lines for enquiry. These were membership of Just Enterprise, which would provide funded support and mentoring for the development of a sustainability and growth plan; looking at the relationship and possibly partnership working with the Isle of Lismore Development Trust; and exploring the potential for Account Management with Highlands and Islands Enterprise which would provide development partnering and support long term.

 

 

An application is shortly to be considered by the Just Enterprise committee and a decision is expected soon – which is why it was submitted quickly, without full committee approval;  otherwise three months would have been lost. It was formulated in consultation with Duncan Drysdale, Bob Hay and Jennifer Baker. It is hoped a member of Just Enterprise may be able to present at the sustainability meeting on December 11th (now changed from December 3rd).

 

 

 

BH has been in touch with Bob Davies of the Development Trust, and had spoken to Beth Campbell who is currently chair and it is hoped that one or both of them will be able to attend the December meeting. The committee agreed that CG should contact HIE to determine whether CELM would be eligible for Account Management.

 

 

 

CG said it might not be possible to find quick solutions, and that it was important to go through the audit and planning process carefully before deciding on a course of action, but said she felt CELM was a victim of its tremendous success: it had outgrown its voluntary administration and should seek to employ a development manager. A timescale of a year was suggested by BH, and CG felt this should be achievable.

 

 

AOCB

LK reported that Gill Bridle’s recent exhibition of paintings, prints and cards had been very well received. A card has been sent to Gill from the committee, thanking her for her exhibition.

 

JL reported that staff from “The Lord of the Glens” cruise ship were coming to Lismore on a fact finding mission the following day and were planning to bring passengers to Lismore in 2014. They would like to see round the Heritage Centre to see what facilities we have to offer their guests. LK would meet with JL to show them round.

 

BH reported that the Museum and Cottage Forward Plan must be renewed in January 2014. He asks that all directors please read the plan (everyone has a copy) and send any comments on it to him in December 2013. He will then update the plan in Jan 2014, following Accreditation guidance.

 

BH would like the January CELM meeting to consider the plans for the 2014 exhibition, on the national theme of Homecoming 2014. Preliminary plans include the 100 year anniversary of the resettlement of Baligrundle and Craignich; the return of John MacDougall’s Gaelic Bible; and (if possible) the return of the Viking Gold.

 

 

Meeting finished at 7.40pm.

 

 

Date of Next meeting: Thursday 16th January, 6pm.