May 2015

new logo

Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr

and

Taic Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr

Lismore Historical Society

A Company limited by guarantee No. SC234832

Aireamh Carthannais/Charity No. SC023503

Minutes of Meeting held in the Library

Thursday 28th May 2015 at 6pm

 

Present: Directors : Iain MacNichol (IM), (Chair), Jennifer Baker (JB),(Sec) (Taic&CELM),  Memory McDonald (MMD), Lesley Hamilton (LH), Freda Drysdale (FD), Duncan Drysdale (DD).

Committee Members: Margaret MacDonald (MD), Maureen Mitchell (MM), Noelle Odling (NO) (Treasurer). Duncan Livingstone (DL)

 

Apologies: Katie MacGregor) (KMG), Bob Hay (BH),  Duncan Ferguson (DF),  Helen Crossan (HC), Douglas Breingan (DB)

 

Previous minutes

Were read out. Proposed MMD Sec LH

 

Matters Arising

CELM has started the formal process of registering the holding of Coillengallanach with the Agricultural Staff of the Scottish Government.  IM will write to Iris MacColl to keep her up to date with developments.

 

Treasurer’s Report

Noelle distributed accounts for this month. She said it would be better if meetings were held in the first week of every month as then the accounts would be completely up to date. The Board agreed.

VAT for Feb, March, April has been done.

The electricity is high because the building is being overheated – thermostats are not working. IM said that we have been waiting for the engineer for some time, he will consult with DF.

Café electricity bill is still to be clarified. DF will be consulted. The café will be invoiced in the interim

Acc approval proposed by FD Sec MMD.

 

DD circulated full annual accounts to the Board. It was suggested that goods and books from the shop could be sold online. Advice is being taken, JB will consult the website group re a legacy button and a Paypal account.

 

Argyll gathering

A table has been booked. Some members of the Board will attend.

 

Update from Community trust

Iris Piers sent a written report entitled ‘Business Development Proposal for LGHC’

It outlined the work she has already completed including a proposed Development Plan for the Centre.

She will work for the next three months as a Business Development Consultant on a part time basis.

 

Latha na GàidhligReport from Gaelic Day (HC)

 

Latha na Gàidhlig, a day of celebration of Argyll Gaelic, was organised by Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr and took place at Ionad Naomh Moluag (the heritage centre) on Saturday 2 May.   Bob Hay introduced the day, and explained the background to the event, which was given financial assistance from Bòrd na Gàidhlig and Comhairle nan Leabhraichean.  Events were expertly managed by Dr Iain McNicol, who introduced a range of speakers.  Dr Pavel Iosad and Dr Michael Ramsammy, from the University of Edinburgh, talked about some of the results of research they undertook on Lismore last year.  A tour of some of other Argyll islands followed, with Alastair Scouller talking about the Gaelic of Colonsay, Alan Boyd giving his observations on Tiree Gaelic, and Paddy McNicol of Port Appin giving us his fascinating insights on the Gaelic of Lismore, the results of his own research.

 

The day finished with a cèilidh – or was it a hòro-gheallaidh – featuring just some of Lismore’s musical talent, the range of which appears to be as fertile as the island itself.   As Bean an Taighe, Katy Crossan proved to be an outstanding hostess, introducing instrumentalists Angus Nicolson, Arthur Cross and Duncan Ferguson, singers Duncan Livingstone, Sebastian Tombs, Alastair Scouller, Sophie King and three generations of singers from the same family: Mary MacDougall, Laura Cook and Katie Cook.

 

A couple of points arising:

         Given that some speakers over-ran, and that this had a knock-on effect at the end of the day, I would like to suggest that we invite Paddy McNicol back to give a fuller talk on Lismore Gaelic, perhaps an evening event over the winter months.

         There is scope to do a second event next year (MKII).  This could include Islay, Coll, Mull and Lochaber (not quite Argyll, but close); funding would have to be sought.

         Comhairle nan Leabhraichean supplied us with books on a sale or return basis and we sold well over £100 of Gaelic books during the day.

Many thanks to:

         Bob, for prompting this event in the first place, including sourcing funding.  Thanks also to him and to Dot for considerable help in sorting out the room the day before.

         Iain, for chairing at such short notice and for ferrying people around.

         All the speakers.  I have written to them.

         Memory, Jennifer and Maureen who helped through the day selling books when I didn’t even notice!

         Maureen Crossan, who gave accommodation to some of the speakers on the Friday night.

         Ann Livingstone for hosting the photographs event and organising the wine.

         Kiki for hosting the fish tea to coincide on the same night.

         All the cèilidh performers, every one a star, especially Angus Nicolson who travelled over specially – and for Margaret who made that happen!

Apologies if I’ve missed anyone.

Keep your diaries free for next year.

School Bus

There was disappointing news re the school bus. It cannot carry the general public.

Discussion ensued – the bus would be bringing people to the museum only. Benefits CELM only.

Questions were raised about the criteria for volunteer drivers.

The Board felt that there could be an entrepreneurial opportunity.

 

Correspondence re CELM Board

IM reported on another e-mail from Teenie Wilson containing strong adverse allegations about CELM Board. The Board felt that action must now be taken. Further discussion will ensue.

 

AOCB

  • BH requested a decision to be made at the AGM re membership fees.
  • It was agreed that BH should report on the Graveslabs Project at the AGM.
  • DL reminded the Board that the annual Gaelic Ceilidh is on 27th August.

 

 

 

Next meeting: Thursday 6th August. 6pm in the Museum Room.