September 2013

 

new logo

Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr

Lismore Historical Society

          A Company limited by guarantee No. SC234832

          AIREAMH CARTHANNAIS/Charity No. SC023503

Minutes of Meeting held in the Library

Thursday 19th September 2013

6pm

 

Present: Directors: John Livingstone (JL), (Acting Chair), Jennifer Baker (JB),(Sec), Bob Hay (BH), Freda Drysdale (FD), Katie MacGregor) (KMG), Memory McDonald (MMD),

Committee Members: Nic Jones (NJ). Margaret McDonald (MD).

Apologies: Duncan Livingstone (DL) (Chair) , Duncan Drysdale (DD) (Treasurer) , Lorraine King (LK),  Barbara McDougall (BMD), Duncan Ferguson (DF),

Absent from Meeting without Apologies

Archie MacGillivray (AG), Teenie Wilson (TW).

Previous minutes

Approval proposed by FD, seconded by BH. Carried by unanimous vote

Matters Arising

FD asked if the Plaque for the cottage should be sited inside or outside. A decision will be made when the ‘mock up’ is viewed. FD will ask LK to forward the CELM logo.

Co-option of New Director

As the Board is still awaiting decision on the above from one member, those present voted unanimously that Catherine Gillies should join the committee in the interim. (Catherine had previously indicated that this would be satisfactory). This will allow vital post Accreditation work to proceed immediately. 

Dates for New Season

Opening Sunday 31st March 2014

Close – TBA.

Volunteers Christmas Lunch

Unanimous vote for 17th December

Friends’ Day and Book Launch

Date was agreed by unanimous vote. Friends’ Day and Book Launch – Sunday 24th November (Prop BH Sec MMD)

Return of Artefacts

The artefacts found by Dr Turner at Achinduin in the 1970’s have been given to the Society of Antiquarians of Scotland and are presently being written up by mediaeval historian Dr David Caldwell. This is very good news for CELM.

Funding

  • Douglas Thorburn has written a guide arising from the Walkover Surveys done last winter. The total bill for artwork and printing is £700.00. BH has approached the MacQueen Foundation for help.
  • From Accreditation – we can have the Viking Gold returned. The necessary case costs £2300.00. BH will apply to MGS for funding under the Small Projects Scheme.
  • Report from Historic Scotland re the conservation of the Gravestones has put the cost at £50000.00. They may provide half of that amount.
  • CELM must raise money for the running costs of the Centre eg Managers’ salaries. CGillies will be consulted.
  • The MacDougall McCallum Foundation have agreed verbally to fund a banner board on John MacDougall, weaver. Ongoing research is in progress.

Report on Visit to Kilmartin Museum

There is a full report on this website

Interactive activities in the museum and the protection of gravestones led to a discussion of ideas for CELM and the gravestones in the parish churchyard.

Thanks are due to Calmac for providing a late ferry.

Logging Research and Genealogical Enquiries.

It was decided to ask all volunteers and Laura Gloag to log all work/queries done in the Centre in order to make a case for a study room.

An enquiries book at the desk is essential.

JB to ask all curators and genealogist to log all activities re study.

Working Group for A&B library

FD and DD will co-ordinate.

Whist Drive

DL will be consulted when he returns from holiday.

AOCB

  • A&B have contacted CELM re holding Election Day in the Centre. Committee agreed in principle but it was pointed out that they have also approached the Hall.
  • CELM have been approached regarding siting the emergency generator at the Centre. More detail is needed re size etc. In principle – good. NJ will attend.
  • Samuel MacColl’s school at Killandrist is needing attention, viz. cleared out and an information plaque erected. CELM will contact the owners.
  • Finance – DD distributed monthly summary. Presently CELM is running at a small loss. The committee will research sources of funding.

 

Meeting closed at 7.25.

 

Date of next meeting – 31st October, 6pm, library