October 2013

new logo

Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr

                        Lismore Historical Society

          A Company limited by guarantee No. SC234832

          AIREAMH CARTHANNAIS/Charity No. SC023503

 Minutes of Meeting held in the Library

Thursday 31st October 2013

6pm

 

Present: Directors: Duncan Livingstone (DL) (Chair) , Duncan Drysdale (DD) (Treasurer), John Livingstone (JL), Jennifer Baker (JB),(Sec), Bob Hay (BH), Freda Drysdale (FD), Memory McDonald (MMD), Archie MacGillivray (AG), Duncan Ferguson (DF),

Committee Members: Nic Jones (NJ). Lorraine King (LK),

Lesley Hamilton also attended.

 

Apologies:) , Margaret McDonald (MD), Barbara McDougall (BMD), Katie MacGregor) (KMG), Catherine Gillies (CG)

 

Absent from Meeting without Apologies

Teenie Wilson (TW).

 

The meeting began with one minute of silence in memory of Donald Black, co founder of Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr who died on 20th October.

 

Previous minutes

The distribution of the monthly summary of accounts was omitted from the minutes.

The return of artefacts should be under a specific heading.

Re conservation of gravestones: should read that Historic Scotland may provide half the amount of money.

Subject to changes, minutes were approved; proposed by FD, seconded by BH. Carried by unanimous vote

 

Matters Arising

Whist Drive. Only 19 people attended. £109.00 was made including the raffle. £19.00 due for hire of the hall.

There was discussion as to why it was so poorly attended. No firm conclusions reached.

Next Whist drive – 1st March.

 

Board

There was further discussion re the co-option of  the new director and around the issue that all directors have agreed save one. CG Gillies has accepted nomination as a committee member.

 

Report from Visit Scotland

NJ spoke to the report. A good report. Grading ‘Excellent’. 4 Stars retained for which a score of 78%+ is required. The committee agreed, however, that we must not rest upon our laurels. There is still much to be done.

 

Running Costs

DD distributed an update on cash flow which shows that we are operating at a loss.

Glen Sanda confirmed that the Aggregate Tax is no longer in existence.

CG is working on sources of funding. She will report back to the Board.

DD distributed an update on cashflow.

A Finance Meeting is proposed for Tuesday 3rd December at 11am in the library.

 

Grants for the Archaeological Guide

CELM has been awarded £600.00 from MacQueen Bros, Charitable Trust.

Gill Bridle will do the illustrations.

BH will write to thank the Trust.

CELM also wishes to record sincere thanks to Douglas Thorburn for his work on the guide.

 

Friends’ Day Arrangements

The day will start after church with lunch in the café prepared by volunteers as Beth is on holiday. The day will proceed as follows:

  • Reports on the Recording Project; the archaeological walks; return of Achinduin artefacts.
  • Opportunity for Friends to offer ideas/criticisms/
  • Book Trust talk
  • Launch of “How an Island Lost Its People”

Wine will be served at the book launch.

 

MMD has informed members who are resident on the island and environs of the event. Posters have been displayed and information is on both websites.

 

Argyll and Bute Museums Forum

Maureen Mitchell has replaced LK on the Forum and has attended one meeting Maureen’s report will be circulated.

 

Volunteer review Session

LK has composed a questionnaire for this event which will take place in the café on Friday 1st November from 4-5pm.

 

Donald Black

The committee felt that a display of Donald’s paintings in the library for the beginning of the season would be a fitting memorial of his passing. FD will research framing. Arrangements will be discussed at a later date. Lesley will liaise with the family.

 

 

AOCB

NJ reported back on replies to the questionnaire on IT facilities at the Centre.. Most responses highlighted the fact that the equipment is outdated and slow – not fit for purpose. Computers in the office do not have the same software. Adlib laptop is old and outdated. Most people use personal equipment. Conclusion:

1)    New hardware required.

2)    Storage and external backup eg Cloud needed.

3)    More touchscreen displays required.

4)    Equipment designed to be used by the public is needed.

5)    Free wifi? New proprieter of the café will be consulted.

6)    Links to home and Centre needed.

Grants and sponsorship should be available. NJ will report back to the next meeting

.

  • Ulpan. LK will hand over to Anne MacLean. A conversation class could be set up with fees being paid directly from student to teacher.
  • FD will offer official thanks to the volunteers tomorrow at the lunch.
  • There was discussion of how to thank Beth for her four years in post.

 

Meeting finished at 7.20pm.

 

 

Date of Next meeting: 28th November, 6pm.