March 2014 Minutes

 

 new logo

Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr

                       Lismore Historical Society

          A Company limited by guarantee No. SC234832

          AIREAMH CARTHANNAIS/Charity No. SC023503

Minutes of Meeting held in the Library

Thursday 13th March 2014

6pm

 

Present: Directors: Duncan Livingstone (DL) (Chair), John Livingstone (JL), Jennifer Baker (JB),(Sec), Bob Hay (BH), Archie MacGillivray (AG), Duncan Ferguson (DF), Memory McDonald (MMD), Katie MacGregor) (KMG), Barbara MacDougall (BMG),

Committee Members: Lorraine King (LK),  Nic Jones (NJ).

 

Apologies: Catherine Gillies (CG), Freda Drysdale (FD),  Margaret McDonald (MD), Maureen Mitchell (MM).

 

Caroline Willis and Stuart Ross (SR) also attended.

 

Absent from Meeting without Apologies

Teenie Wilson (TW).

 

Previous minutes

Approved Proposed JL, seconded MMD

 

Matters Arising

1)    JB sent the book ‘How an Island Lost its People’ to Kirsty Stewart.

2)    The Banner board funded by The MacDougall McCallum Foundation is completed and ready for display. BH will request an additional £100.00 from the Foundation to cover the full cost of the banner.

3)    Sample cards of Gill Bridle’s illustrations were circulated. NJ will consult with Gill for approval of colour.

4)    The exhibition of Donald Black’s paintings has been postponed.

 

Memories Evening

Caroline said that this evening had been very successful. 38 people attended.

The Board offered thanks to Caroline, Kiki MacColl, Helen Crossan and the museum curators for work done.

 

Sustainabilty Project

BH read the briefing notes from CG. The most important item is to appoint a treasurer as our interim treasurers finish at the end of this month. Currently there is funding from HLF being processed and this will have to continue but no further funding can be sought until a treasurer is appointed.

As little interest was shown in the original advertisement, an individual has been approached.

 

Library

  • Exhibition of paintings of Colette Walker 31May to 28 June
  • Exhibition of wood engravings by the Appin Art Group, including a demonstration on the opening day, being planned.
  • Barbara and exhibitors would like guidance about whether items in exhibitions are insured by CELM or the individual.
  • Book Week planned for 20 to 26 October.

 

Centre Manager

Our present Centre managers complete their contracts at the end of this month and the Centre cannot, at this time, fund a manager so:

NJ and LK will draw up a list of duties and the committee will provide volunteers to fulfill these in the interim.

Just Enterprise will advise us how to deal with this issue in the future.

It was felt that it is important to emphasise that the Heritage centre is going from strength to strength in all other areas.

 

Draft Hire Agreement

NJ talked the committee through the draft hire form.

It was agreed to keep it in its detailed form to cover all eventualities.

BH proposed acceptance JB seconded. Unanimous vote.

Thanks were offered to NJ for the work done.

 

AOCB

  • Thanks were offered to SR and BH for the painting of the museum room. The committee agreed that the toilets would be painted before the opening.
  • There is now free wifi throughout the Centre.
  • NJ brought to the attention of the committee the Rural Parliament which will be held in Oban in November at which there will be a weekend of events. Between 300 and 400 delegates will attend. We hope that the Centre can be one of the venues.
  • DL proposed that meetings during the summer months should start at 7pm rather than 6pm. Seconded by AG. Vote carried.
  • A Fiona Mackay has contacted LHC Facebook. BH will attend.
  • The newsletter is finished. MMD will put it out to members next week. A request for donations will be included.
  • It was pointed out that debit cards cost nothing whereas there is a cost for credit cards. Volunteers will be made aware.
  • Date of the AGM 31st May. 12.00 followed by Taic AGM. Colette Walker’s art exhibition will start on the same day.

 

 

Meeting finished at 7.50

 

Date of next meeting. Thursday 1st May. 7pm.