February 2013

 new logo

Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mòr

                       Lismore Historical Society

          A Company limited by guarantee No. SC234832

          AIREAMH CARTHANNAIS/Charity No. SC023503

Minutes of Meeting held in the Library

Thursday 21st February 2013

 

Present: Directors: Duncan Livingstone (Chair), Jennifer Baker (JB),Sec, Duncan Drysdale(DD) Treas, Bob Hay (BH), Katie MacGregor) (KMG), John Livingstone (JL)

Committee Members: , Lorraine King (LK),  Margaret McDonald (MD), Memory McDonald (MMD), Duncan Ferguson (DF).

 

Apologies: Barbara McDougall (BMD), Donald Black (DB), Pauline Dowling (PD), Freda Drysdale (FD), Nic Jones (NJ), Archie MacGillivray (AG).

 

The previous minutes were approved. Prop BH   Sec DD.

 

Matters Arising

  • A letter has been received from the Kirk Session re the stones. It points out that the graveyard is the responsibility of Argyll and Bute Council. BH will write to the Council and Historic Scotland on behalf of CELM.
  • Approach to prospective patrons is ongoing.
  • BH requested £200.00 for equipment for the Emergency Plan. There was a unanimous vote of approval CELM expressed gratitude to NJ for the work done on this.
  • The Newsletter is ready. MMD will send out requests for annual membership with the Newsletter.

 

Centre Manager

There was a long discussion re this post. It centred mostly around the advice given in Catherine Gillies’s letter which proposed that we employ a Centre Manager for this year with existing funds and in accordance with good practice. This view was upheld by DD. The Board voted unanimously for the proposal. CELM will ask NJ to prepare an advertisement.

.

Opening. Website and Exhibition

The website will go live on the opening date – 29th March.

It will also be the opening of our new display for 2013 “Lismore Ploughman”.

Ploughs will be obtained from Jack Reynolds and Auchindrain. DF will deliver the plough from Jack Reynold’s. MBS from Auchindrain.

A claret bottle from the wreck of ‘The Peggy’ on Eilean Dubh has been loaned to the museum and will be on display for the season. The committee wish to offer grateful thanks to Mr and Mrs Evans of Port Appin for the loan.

There was more discussion re the horse harnesses at Newfield. A meeting has been arranged for Monday 25th Feb at Newfield 2pm. DF, DL, JL and BH will attend.

The museum will open from 11am till 4pm from the start. Thanks were given to those who have volunteered to do extra shifts during lambing.

 

Shop

Lesley Hamilton is the new shop manager. She will be in the museum once a month for a few days.

A sale of existing stock starts on Tuesday 26th Feb. From 12.00 till 3pm. 50% reduction on most goods.

 

AOCB

  • Museum big clean. 6th March. JB, LK, PD, BH, Beth Campbell and Carol MacLean.
  • Dr Ian MacDonald author of “Bishops of Argyll and the Isles” has agreed to give a talk. A weekend in May is proposed.
  • The Archaeology Walkovers have been a great success. The next is Baleveolan. Wednesday 13th March.
  • There is a meeting of Bòrd na Gàidhlig on 5th March at 1pm in the Caledonian Hotel. DF and BH will attend.
  • JB and LK will be attending a course at MGS in Edinburgh on 1st March. The subject deals with using Facebook and Twitter as a marketing tool.
  • Events – Crofting Day and Farmers’ Market July/August; 22nd March Iain MacNichol’s talk on the Dewar Report; exhibition of Gill Bridle’s work in the library in October.
  • NJ said that the quote for the new signs is £220.00. Committee agreed unanimously to the purchase.
  • MD said that Margaret Lobban had expressed disappointment that her book was not mentioned in the new museum booklet. The committee expressed regret and a suggestion was made that the book should be highlighted in the new website. All agreed.

 

The meeting closed at 8.45.

 

Date of next meeting: 21st March