Archive | 2015-OOM

RSS feed for this section

Object of the Month: June 2015

Object of the Month, June 2015 Records of the Annual Show of the Lismore Agricultural Society, LISDD:2007. (Catalogues, posters and prize tickets, 1913-1938) The Lismore Agricultural Society, founded in 1853, held an annual agricultural show, up to the eve of WW2, in the field next to Baligrundle School . The poster for 1930 confirms the […]

Object of the Month: May 2015

Object of the Month, May 2015 Records of the Baron Court for the Glenorchy Lands on Lismore, 1615-1643 In the early 1600s, the Campbell Lords of Glenorchy, soon to be the Earls of Breadalbane, owned one third of Lismore – the townships of Baligrundle, Achnacroish, Tirlaggan, Killean, Baleveolan and Balimakillichan, looked after by a cadet […]

Object of the Month: April 2015

Object of the Month. Fragment of a 14th /15th Century Graveslab On long-term loan, for security, from Lismore Parish Church   Although this is only a fragment (0.46 x 0.47m) of an Iona School graveslab, carved in local slate, it shows a wide range of features. The botanical details at the centre (“palmette design”) are […]

Object of the Month: March 2015

Object of the Month, March 2015 LISDD:2006.11  The Lismore Armlet This object in the Lismore Museum collection is a replica.  In 1995, the original was found by Donald MacLean in a pile of building spoil from work at Newfield Farm.  Freda MacGregor (now Drysdale) recognised its importance and contacted the National Museum of Scotland.  Within […]

Object of the Month: February 2015

Object of the Month, February 2015 Documents relating to the Resettlement of Baligrundle 1913/5 From the Baligrundle 1 Archive In the 1840s, James Auchinleck Cheyne cleared the township of Baligrundle of its tenants and cottars, and converted the land to a sheepwalk.  The community of 44 people in 1841 was replaced by a single shepherd […]

The Lady Margaret

Mast Loop from the ketch Lady Margaret  LISDD:2006.95 The Lady Margaret, known as “The Leddy” on Lismore, was built by William Fife & Son at Fairlie, N Ayrshire in 1876.   She was one of the bigger, and more elegant, sailing smacks engaged in the West Highland coastal trade  (registered 40 tons, overall length, excluding […]